Today I had the most amazing potatoes ever at strampen, Vaasa/Vasa. The food there was just superbly delish. Perfectly cooked chicken with rosemary sauce and served with boulangere potatoes. I guess I was lucky to be invited to attend a seminar and free lunch…wooohoooo now who would pass that? I would recommend strampen to be the place to go to eat real yummy food. Price range for lunch buffet is around 11.80 euros pp not cheap at all. Check out strampen restaurant at: http://www.strampen.com. Here’s my version of boulangere potatoes and enjoy :)
Boulangere Potatoes (French Potato dish)
1 kg potatoes (2.5 pounds)
2 medium onions
4 Tbs. butter, softened, plus extra to butter the dish
300ml of hot chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & Pepper
A few springs of fresh thyme
1/4 cup cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Butter a large shallow ovenproof dish. Set aside.
- Peel the onions and potatoes and then slice them very thinly.Layer them in a baking dish, seasoning each layer with some salt and pepper and a few leaves stripped from the thyme and finishing with a layer of potato.
- Place the last layer on decoratively and press them down with the flat of your hand firmly.
- Pour the hot stock over top. Add on the butter and lastly pour in the cream. Cover tightly with foil and then bake in the heated oven for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes. The potatoes should be absolutely creamy and delicious :) Enjoy!