Here’s a yummy kick to boring old plain rice “Biryani Rice”. I just love the heaviness of Biryani rice it satisfies my hunger and cravings for the extra spice. It’s rather easy to make and you will be happy with the results.:)
1 3/4 cups Basmati Rice, washed and drained
1/4 cup Ghee or Margarine
2 Onions sliced
4 Shallots sliced
1 Bulb Fresh Ginger, finely sliced
4 Tomatoes, finely chopped
2 Tbsp Tomato puree
1 3/4 cups Chicken or Beef Stock
1/2 cup Evaporated Milk
1 cup Raisins
1 cup toasted Cashew Nuts
Crisp-fried Shallots for garnish
1 bunch Mint Leaves chopped and rinsed
Salt to taste
3 Star Anise
1 Cinnamon Stick
- Melt the ghee and add in Onions, Shallots, Fresh Ginger, fry till golden.
- Add in the cardamons, cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves and fry for another minutes.Add in the tomatoes and cook till softens.
- Next, add in rice and stir gently. Then, add Beef or Chicken Stock , Cashew nuts, a little salt, half of the fresh Mint leaves, and Evaporated Milk.Tomato puree can be added at this stage.
- Cook on moderate heat and stir occasionally till rice softens. Add in crisp-fried Shallots and the remaining Mint leaves. Cover the rice and cook till rice is tender (5 -10 minutes).
- Serve steaming hot and garnish with left over Raisins, Cashew Nuts, crisp-fried Shallots and Mint Leaves to taste.