This is my treat for the Halloween Steamed banana parcels ( Lepat Pisang). Imagine opening up a parcel that you can eat :) I love it! It smells wonderful and taste just plain delicious.
Lepat Pisang (Steamed Banana Parcel)
300g Ripe Bananas
3 tbs Coconut Milk
60g Palm sugar or brown sugar or just plain sugar up to you
4 tbs plain flour
2 tbs cornflour
2 tbs grated coconut
A tsp salt
- Mash bananas in a small mixing bowl. Add salt, palm sugar, coconut, flours and grated .Stir, without beating, until mixed.
- Cut two sides of the banana leaf away from the stem. Quickly pass over a gas flame (the heat will soften the leaf and make it more pliable for use as a wrapper).
- Cut leaves into rectangles approximately 15 cm X 10 cm, trimming the pieces with scissors .Position a sheet of banana leaf on a work top in front of you – long side facing you.
- Place 1 – 2 tablespoons of the mixture (depending on size of packets you want) in the middle of the leaf. Fold top and bottom towards the centre, overlapping them. Neatly fold left and right ends, tucking them under to enclose the banana mixture completely
- Arrange packets on a steamer tray in a single layer, leaving a little space between the parcels for steam to come through. Cook over rapidly-boiling water for 15 – 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Makes 12 – 15 parcels.)